Figures released by the Mayor of London have revealed that less than 30% of tickets for the capital’s iconic New Year’s Eve fireworks went to Londoners last year.
Labour London Assembly Member Fiona Twycross who obtained the figures said they showed the new ticketing system had led to “Londoners missing out on the iconic NYE celebrations.” Ms Twycross called on the Mayor to ensure at least half the tickets for this year’s fireworks are reserved for London residents.
In response to a question from Ms Twycross, the Mayor confirmed only 27,476 of 100,000 tickets were sold to residents who live in the capital after the Mayor introduced ticketing for the event last year in an attempt to better control crowds.
The tickets, costing £10 each, were priced to only cover the cost of the ticketing infrastructure. With London taxpayers making a significant contribution to the event, Ms Twycross said it was “ridiculous” that so few tickets went to Londoners.
The 100,000 tickets sold out in advance of the event last year with tickets available on resale websites for almost twenty times their value. Early release tickets for this year’s celebrations go on sale on Friday 19th June.
Labour’s London Assembly Economic Spokesperson Fiona Twycross AM said:
“It’s ridiculous that only a quarter of tickets went to Londoners last year despite them footing the bill for the fireworks.
“Boris Johnson’s new system has meant thousands of Londoners missing out on the iconic NYE celebrations. What we need for this year is for at least half the tickets to be reserved for Londoners.”